Did you know that one out of 20 elder Americans are victims of elder abuse each year? While elder abuse can take many forms, including neglect, emotional abuse, abandonment, financial abuse, or physical/sexual abuse, 40% of those victims are due to financial exploitation.
Learn to recognize the warning signs of elder abuse so you can help stop the cycle:
- Caregiver appears too aggressive or exhibits uncomfortable behavior
- Elder unable to speak for him or herself in presence of caregiver
- Bruises, abnormal skin changes, dirty appearance, poor hygiene
- Personality changes, hesitation to talk openly
- Sudden involvement of previously uninvolved relative or new friend
- Unexplained changes to will, power of attorney, or other legal documents
If you see any of these signs, contact the Alameda County Family Justice Center Elder Protection Unit, your local Law Enforcement, or Adult Protective Services (APS) at 1-866-225-5377.
470 27th Street
Oakland, CA 94612
Phone: (510) 267-880